Thursday, April 8, 2021

And the Countdown Begins ...

 In 5 weeks, 36 days, my nursing career will come to an end. My retirement date is May 14, 2021, 40 years to the month after graduation from nursing school. All told, I've been in health care 52 years in once capacity or another. On balance, it's been a pretty fine ride.

But it's strange to experience the feelings as the end approaches. A lot of my identity is wrapped up in being an RN. I'm not sure how the end of that will affect my self image. Looks like I'll know the answer to that soon, though. 😀 

So I've decided to revive this blog. I have some goals for my retirement: long road trips, getting re-acquainted with my guitars, and writing 350 words a day. The writing will start here, with shares to social media as appropriate. The first topics will, naturally, be intertwined with my progress toward May 14 and the days that follow. I'll try to describe the ways I see the processes involved, like applying for Social Security and what it's like to have Medicare. But maybe more importantly, I want to use this blog to examine my feelings about it all. 

So, stay tuned, if you've a mind to. I'm doing this for the most purely selfish reasons, but that doesn't mean it won't offer some value to someone else. At the least, I'll try to be amusing. 




No comments:

Creative Commons